Friday, June 14, 2013

Yen let me down, Aussie bailed me out

Since trying to climb Mount Fuji in the currency markets earlier this week left me rolling down the side of the mountain, I decided to act on a setup that I saw on the Aussie dollar.

Thinking that weakness in the USD might continue into the end of the week, and noticing that the Aussie was showing strength, I placed an entry order on the 50% retracement of the reversal leg off the bottom.

 
 
The halfway back entry is something that I picked up from watching Tim Racette's videos over at Eminimind. He trades mostly Euro and S&P futures, but I've had good success using this entry style on many different currencies securities and stocks.
 
Basically, when you see a leg that's moving in the direction of the trend you want to follow, find the halfway back point on that leg, and use that as your entry point. I then use the 72% retracement area as a stop. If I'm using a targeted trade, I look for 2 times my risk, but often I'm looking to enter a trend, so no immediate target is placed.
 
On this particular trade I had no target initially, but after running for nearly 185 pips, I just banked the profits, and I plan to reevaluate entering a longer term entry next week.
 
Drop a comment if you use halfway back for entries, or want to discuss your own entry strategies.
 
STT

No comments:

Post a Comment